The third Red Bull Homestretch week saw six professional motorsport drivers taking part against two notable wildcard contenders, 2018 WNBA Most Valuable Player Breanna Stewart and Canadian gamer Naomi Kyle. Here is all you need to know:
– Basketball star Stewart raced a Porsche 911, while Last Week in Gaming’s Kyle unloaded a Corvette C7 adorned with a maple leaf honouring her native Canada as they went up against Travis Pastrana, Timmy Hansen, Bryce Menzies, Scott Speed, Alexander Rossi and James Hinchcliffe on the virtual tracks of Gran Turismo Sport.
– Seattle Storm’s Stewart, 25, who is still recovering from a knee injury that sidelined her during the 2019 season, revealed: “This is uncharted territory for me.”
– Kyle said: “I think my goal, primarily, is to stay on the track. I don’t want to spin out, I want to control my braking and let’s see if that helps me win the race.”
– The Alsace Village road race launched proceedings with Hinchcliffe sneaking the win after Rossi and Hansen collided and crashed twice in the final two laps.
– Pastrana, who was unable to grab a podium finish the first two weeks, joked early on about his inability to score a desired result but finished in second spot.
– The Willow Springs rally race saw Swede Hansen get back on track with victory. The FIA World Rallycross champion said: “I did my best, got pushed off the track a few times, pushed some other guys off a few times – it’s give and take. In the end, we had a good time.”
– The final Sardegna Windmills off-road truck race ended with Hinchcliffe nicking another win from Rossi and Menzies, however his tongue may have firmly been in his cheek when he ranked the day’s successes along with his IndyCar wins at Long Beach and São Paulo.
– Watch Homestretch streams live every Thursday at 12pm EDT/ 9am PDT.
Week Three results
Race 1: Alsace Village (road race)
Race 2: Willow Springs (rally race)
Race 3: Sardegna Windmills (Off-road truck race)